Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Eco-Tip Wednesday ~ Composting

Think for a minute about how much food waste you throw in the trash or grind up in your garbage disposal each week. That "trash" could become treasure in two short months. If you start now, you'll have nutrient-rich fertilizing soil for your potted plants come spring. Not to mention, you'll be reducing your footprint on the environment. You don't need a complicated or expensive bin to get started. All you need is a small spot in the corner of your yard or behind your shed and a pitch fork for ease of turning your pile. Kids will love to help with dumping scraps onto the pile, I know I did when I was younger. For quick and easy instructions on how to start your own compost pile, visit E-How's tutorial. Here's a little guide that includes a chart telling you what can and can't be composted. Who knew dryer lint and hair could help make your garden grow?

I bought an inexpensive but decorative scrap pail to sit on my counter next to my sink. It has a lid with holes in it for aeration and a carbon filter to prevent the stinkies. I put coffee grounds & filters, egg shells, and all my veggie and fruit waste in there. When it's full, I take it outside and dump it. I happen to have a bin that rotates on an axel to make for easy pile turning, but like I said above, you don't need this. My sister composts and she just has a pile next to her shed that she hid with a nice, rustic piece of wood picket fence.

Image from: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/

6 comments:

TexasTesla said...

Hmmm...but what's the smell like? The houses in our neighborhood are close together - and our HOA is rather stringent. I'd hate to start a compost pile, and have angry neighbors!

Mandy said...

From what I hear, there is no smell if you do it right. I'm sure the tutorials I linked to state something about smells. Mine doesn't smell if I make sure I rotate the pile as soon as I add new material. That way, the fresh stuff gets buried beneath rich, dark stuff that doesn't smell.

Tracy Nuskey Dodson said...

My compost pile doesn't stink!!! As long as you don't use any animal products....oils, meats, there shouldn't be any odor. I don't even turn mine as much as I should and I've never had a problem.
The Sister:)

Sugar Bear said...

Hi there!
I saw your comment on Jennifer's blog and wanted to pop over. I am SOOO loving your spices tote bag - I'm trying to see if I can squeeze a little money out of the budget to snap it up. I love all of your green tips. This past year I switched to reusable grocery bags and have just started using cloth produce bags. I also love the Shaklee line of products. I use their cleaning solutions, cloths and dryer sheets.
Cheers,
Karla

Kitty said...

Awesome idea! I love the idea of growing stuff on top, too. We use a compost pile, but it's just separate from the gardens. we use the fresh dirt in the spring to spread over the garden.... The compost pile doesnt smell as long as you put the right stuff in it... just like the vintage sister said, avoid meat, oils, etc. and you should be good to go! on a super hot summer day, it might smell a LITTLE bit... but it's nothing bad! :) great post mandy! :)

Mandy said...

Kitty W, thanks for your post! Come back soon! :) I tried to access your profile but it said it was disabled?? I'd like to know a bit about cha! Take care.